Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Outlook

Lately, I've been focusing on soul searching. You know, trying to get a new perspective on life as I know it. For 2008 I'm hoping to spend less time listening to the news 'horror' stories and more time trying to find the joy in my life. Sometimes we become so focused on the daily grind that we forget to stop and breathe and notice the sky and birds and whatever. Okay, I know what you're thinking - Blah, Blah, Blah I've heard this all before - stop and smell the roses right?



It does sound trite. But, while I've been trying to analyze my life at this point, I found that I have lost touch with what gives me joy. I've been going through the motions going to work, going home, watching t.v. or writing. I've been doing everything without much thought as to why. Life has all become a routine. But a wrench thrown into the works caused me to re-think everything. Who am I? What do I enjoy? What makes me feel good? What is important to me?



This is my year to take inventory. My therapist says find something everyday that gives you JOY. Then keep a list in your journal and refer to it when life gets overwhelming or dull. I've learned that sometimes the obvious becomes buried in grief, anxiety, problem solving. It helps to talk things out with a friend, spouse, or someone you can trust.



Joy is different for everyone. So, here is hoping that my readers can take a few minutes a day to find their joys and share what can make a positive difference in the world around them.



Happy New Year!